Afraid of the dentist? You’re not alone. Every week, our Kelowna dental clinic Okanagan Smiles helps patients overcome their fear of going to the dentist so they can enjoy a healthy smile.
According to some studies, almost half of the population in North America is afraid of the dentist. Why?
In recent years, Kelowna dentists and researchers have identified several reasons why people fear the dentist: bad dental experiences at a young age, feeling like they’re not in control in the dentist’s chair, and exposure to the dental fears of parents, particularly fathers.
The good news is, most dentists—Kelowna orthodontists included—understand dental fears. At Okanagan Smiles Kelowna dentistry, we take time to explain procedures and answer questions as well as offer breaks and sometimes sedatives. We want dentistry to be as easy as possible for you so we explain what we will be doing if you want, take time to rest your jaw and sometimes book appointments so patients can be the only ones in the office if needed. We are some of the only ones in Canada to use devices like the Isolite to make holding your mouth open much easier during fillings than the traditional dental dam.
If you are afraid of the dentist, here are some tips you can follow to help you feel more comfortable when you’re at a Kelowna dental clinic.
Tips to Overcome Your Fear of the Dentist:
- Make early morning appointments. That way you’ll have less time to dwell on your dental visit.
- Bring a friend or someone else you trust to your check-up so you’ll feel a little more at ease.
- Find an understanding Kelowna dentist who understands how to help anxious patients. Ask coworkers and friends for recommendations. (Click here for Okanagan Smiles Dental Patient Reviews.)
- Agree with your dentist on a stop signal such as raising your left hand so you can let him or her know when you need a break.
- Distract yourself with listening to music or podcast, or watching TV so you can tune out a little and focus less on your worries.
- Practice deep breathing. You’ll feel less and less tense as you breathe in and let the air escape slowly from your mouth, as if you were a leaky tire.
Whether you’re visiting us for cosmetic or general dentistry, we provide a comfortable experience with results that will last. Contact us to book an appointment today!
No comments yet
The comments are closed.