Outside, it’s cold; inside your mouth, teeth can become even more sensitive. Our Kelowna dental centre has prepared this post to help you learn more about how to protect your teeth from sensitivity.
Why Teeth Become Sensitive
The feeling of dental sensitivity is unlike any other. That shooting pain strikes with a bite of ice cream, a sip of hot tea, or even opening your mouth on cold morning.
Usually caused by gingival recession exposing your roots and moving the gums away from your tooth’s crown, dental sensitivity leaves the surface of your teeth unprotected against the cold. This is why you might notice your sensitive teeth much more in the winter.
There are other causes of dental sensitivity as well: cracked, fractured or decaying teeth; teeth whitening products, improper brushing or a hard-bristled toothbrush, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and gum disease.
When You’ll Notice Teeth Sensitivity
As Kelowna dentists, as soon as winter sets in, we hear more patients mentioning teeth sensitivity. In fact, any change in weather can heighten the sensitivity of your teeth.
Everyday affects will bring that pain on as well, from a spoonful of hot soup to a mouthful of a sugary juice. If you’ve had sensitive teeth for a while, you’ve probably noticed that in addition to foods with extreme temperatures, you also notice more sensitivity when you consume high sugar or acidic foods.
What To Do About Sensitive Teeth
Fortunately, there are several actions you can take to help minimize the pain of sensitive teeth:
- Brush with a toothpaste for sensitive teeth, which cloaks your teeth and nerves.
- Brush your teeth gently, use mouthwash regularly and floss thoroughly.
- Eat foods and drinks that aren’t too hot or cold.
- Avoid sweets, citric drinks, and sodas.
- Choose snacks and meals high in calcium, such as dairy, nuts and broccoli, as well as fibre foods such as apples, bananas and raisins.
- Visit your Kelowna dental clinic regularly for cleanings and check-ups.
Whether you’re visiting us for cosmetic or general dentistry, we provide a comfortable experience with results that will last. Contact us to book an appointment today!
No comments yet
The comments are closed.