Passport? Check. Two bathing suits? Check. When patients are sitting in the chair at our Kelowna dental clinic and mention being so ready for upcoming trip, we ask if they’ve packed another important item: a dental emergency kit.
While many people remember to pack most of the essentials for their holidays, most don’t think about stuffing a dental emergency kit into their suitcase.
What happens if you chip a tooth when you’re camping in the Okanagan, hours from a Kelowna dentist? Or if you’re on beach in Thailand and suddenly that cavity is driving you crazy, and you should have visited our Kelowna dental centre before you left Canada?
Well, if you have a dental emergency kit, you’re going to be fine. At least for a while.
What should you pack in your dental emergency kit?
- Pain relief medication
- Dental wax
- Temporary filling mix/cement
- Teabag (Oolong tea is a natural antibacterial agent)
- The Canadian Dental Association’s guide to handling dental emergencies
Packing an emergency dental kit could save you from a lot of pain and decrease your risk of infection when accidents happen, but many of the dental ‘emergencies’ Kelowna dentists hear about are actually preventable.
How can you prevent a dental emergency?
- Visit your Kelowna dental clinic for a check-up and cleaning a few weeks before you leave. Your family dentist will be able to treat or prevent infections and spot any signs of trouble, like loose fillings or tooth decay.
- Have any needed dental work done well before your departure. If you need your wisdom teeth removed or your braces are almost ready to come off, don’t wait until after your holiday to see your Kelowna orthodontist or dentist.
- Find a list of safe and credible dental clinics in the area where you’ll be staying. The International Association of Dentists offers a searchable database of reputable and qualified dentists around the world.
- Review your travel insurance plan’s policy on dental emergencies.
Whether you’re visiting us for cosmetic or general dentistry, we provide a comfortable experience with results that will last. Contact us to book an appointment today!
No comments yet
The comments are closed.